Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Taking a Break to Look at the Cottage

     We have had a few requests for pictures of our cottage remodel.  We are taking a break from our current project to paint some exteriors.  A few of you have asked for pictures of the transformation of my cottage in northern Michigan.  I need to go up north to access my journals for the timeline of events.  We have a habit of writing in a journal each and every time we go north, even if it's for a weekend to rake leaves.  We also make our guests and family write in the journal. 

The first wall
Brad's brother, Joel and our Pastor, Scott LeLaCheur lended a hand
Great room window


Our son Bj learned a lot on this job and is now an architect.






Pastor Scott is making sure the job is getting done correctly




Brad is teaching our son Max how to use a nail gun


Mike Moran, our electrical genious



Max is in the great room

Brad and I at our favorite spot

The finished cottage

Our labor of love started in Brad's head and moved to napkins at restaurants, notepads, and any blank paper laying around.  He would be drawing all the time. Initially, it was going to be a great room off the back and then a great room and loft.  Our cottage grew along with his dream.  I'm so glad I married a dreamer.  I remember when we started the project.  It seemed so daunting.  He said to me..."How do you eat an elephant...one bite at a time." I don't think I will ever eat elephant but I know what he meant.  At the time, it seemed to take forever.  He did the work mostly by himself and fit it in when he could between jobs.  We took a 900 square foot cottage and transformed it into a 2400 square foot cottage. The photos are of poor quality because they are 5 years old and scanned.  























No comments:

Post a Comment